Spencer House, a palatial eighteenth-century mansion overlooking Green Park, is celebrating the 25th anniversary of its restoration by providing an opportunity for visitors to meet the craftsmen who undertook the works. Built between 1756 and 1766 for the first Earl Spencer, an ancestor of the late Diana, Princess of Wales, Spencer House was rescued from its fate as rather sorry looking office space by Lord Rothschild and RIT Capital Partners, of which Rothschild is chairman.
Rothschild was intent on restoring the Palladian and neoclassical house to its former glory and assembled a team of experts who committed to the seven-year project. On Sunday, October 16, the conservators, decorators and designers employed during the restoration will be on hand to explain the techniques and materials used. They include David Milnaric, who oversaw the interior decoration of the impressive State Rooms, Dick Reid, who carried out architectural carving and Alan Dodd, who recreated the trompe l’oeil effect on the staircase balustrade.
The event runs from 10.30 to 17.30 and advanced booking is strongly recommended.
27 St James’s Place, SW1A 1NR.